21 July, 2011

It Had to Happen

The final Harry Potter movie just came out so of course I had to post about it. Some time before leaving Virginia My friend Erin and I started re-reading the Harry Potter series. I'm not sure how many times I've read them, I tend to get an itch every year or so. The idea was to read all the way through before the last movie came out. If you have read and loved the series but never reread them I'd highly recommend it. There are things mentioned offhand in the first books that reappear in the later books so it's really fun to go back and see J.K. Rowling's foresight. And if you HAVEN'T read the books you should, they're well written, fun and you'll breeze right through them.

The point of all this talk is that my heart has been all a-flutter with love for Harry Potter so of course I looked up some HP crafts to do. There are a lot out there, some cool and some not so much. I've been trying to use up the resources that already I have (bags and bags of yarn) so I chose to knit a golden snitch. My knitting has been limited to scarves, hats and a not so impressive tie therefore I was happy to gain some new experience with a new shape, a sphere. When the knitting was done it was in fact spherical so I was happy! The wings tended towards curling so I slid a wire through the top of the wing for support.

150 points to me!

wire support

As for the movie? For the first time ever I went to a midnight showing. My friend Brittany and I left the boys at home and headed to downtown Portland for the 3-D show. We showed up to the mall around 11 and the two floors the theatre occupied were full of people waiting in line, some dressed up, some with lightening scars, all excited. A kind employee dressed like Harry himself pointed us in the direction of our theatre and to our amazing luck we were able to walk right in and sit down! No waiting on opening night, what amazing luck! We picked up our HP 3-D glasses, found a seat in the back, and popped open our Red Bulls. There are so many reviews out there so I'll just say this. I liked it. There were discrepancies of course but all around I think it was worth it. The beginning went by a little faster than I'd have liked but I think that was to give more time to the epic ending. It's give and take when books are turned into movies. For now I'll continue to love the series, and enjoy my golden snitch. Maybe I'll hang it up when we settle in one spot for more than two months.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a nerd and that's why I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete